Around the Church
AROUND THE CHURCH
Our church complex is comprised of three buildings (and a garage for storage) located on the corner of Winthrop and Summer Streets.
Enjoy our Facility! See the many things that give an idea of Who We Are as a congregation, from current information, to hangings and other furnishings that have significance to UUCC.
Building and Grounds Stewardship
Much of the space is used by multiple groups and is used increasingly, both within the congregation and with the larger community. The Church Administrator oversees the building use by church groups and outside renters. It is critical that we keep the Administrator updated regarding your requests and changes, as your plans may affect the plans of others.
Since 2008 members and friends of UUCC have dedicated an enormous amount of time renovating and restoring the building and grounds. Each project was a commitment to building and strengthening community. Each project was a dedication to creating sacred space that was bright, beautiful and well maintained. As each space was completed the congregation reentered their spiritual home with increased devotion to their liberal religious faith community.
Smoking is prohibited on the Unitarian Universalist Community Church property.
See additional information on use of the facility in How Our Church Works, II Buildings and Grounds.
The Wayside Pulpit on the corner of Winthrop and Summer Streets is a contribution from Bob Rand and Jim McKendry. The Wayside Pulpit began in 1919 in the Unitarian Church in Brighton, MA, to draws community attention to the values that we hold. Contact the History Committee for our Wayside Pulpit collection.
Standing on the Side of Love banner and the Rainbow Flag proclaim our commitment to Social Justice, starting with gay/lesbian/bisexual and transgender /transsexual individuals and moving to a broad range of Social Justice issues.
Bench by the door to the church is in honor of Linda Findlay, the Director of Religious Exploration, previously with Winthrop Street Church (1982-1992) and UUCC (1992-2005).
The Picnic/Garden area between the Church and Judd House and other landscaping reflects the appreciation of connection with the nature and quiet space. This is maintained by the Buildings and Grounds Committee.
CHURCH BUILDING (69 Winthrop Street)
The Church Building (69 Winthrop Street) is the successor of an historic Universalist church. The latest renovation was done during the Summer of 2008. The building includes:
- The Sanctuary (available for church events and rental)
- Fellowship Hall and Kitchen (available for church events and rental)
- Nursery (available for events and rental)
- Meeting rooms: Robbins Room (Summer St. entrance) and Committee Room (Winthrop St. entrance). (available for church events and rental)
Welcoming areas, such as the Vestry outside of the Sanctuary, have general information about the church and Unitarian Universalism. Please be sure to sign the Guest Book across from the Sanctuary door, if you are visiting so we can connect with you further.
Bulletin Boards in the hallway next to the Sanctuary and in the Fellowship Hall give information about:
- Religious Exploration for all ages,
- Activities of the Board of Trustees and various committees,
- Ways to participate within the life of the church, and
- Other Unitarian Universalist and related events and opportunities.
If you add to the information on the Bulletin Boards, please remove the information after the applicable date.
The Display Case in the hall by the Sanctuary is available for exhibits by committees and programs. Help create this visual opportunity for people attending church activities, as well as people from groups that meet at the church. What is seen in our church reflects who we are within the congregation and the larger world.
Literature Racks and stand in the halls contain information on Unitarian Universalism in general, and specific UUCC publications.
A Lost and Found basket is located in the Coat Room at the church. Items that are not claimed are donated to Addie’s Attic at St. Marks Episcopal Church.
Chalice Hanging in a window. By Harold Booth, member, October 28, 2008.
“I took a course in making stained-glass when I retired. The idea of the rainbow-flamed chalice was something I'd seen as a letter-head on a mailing [re Welcoming Congregation]. The rest of it was working out how to do the flame, the chalice. The chalice in my piece is actually a textured mirror. Then it's a matter of working the whole thing together, in proper scale, and working the background in an aesthetically-pleasing manner. I actually planned it to go in the bay window of 71, but made a stained-glass piece that was much bigger than would fit in the planned location. The renovations to 69 have resulted in much more appropriate placement.”
The grand piano is a donation from the Cecelia Club. All Souls Church, then UUCC, housed the piano for a number of years in lieu of charging Cecilia rent of space for concerts. The piano was donated to UUCC when Cecelia Club closed. There is a framed note of appreciation from Cecelia Club.
The paintings of the churches are by David Sillsby, a renowned local artist. One painting gives three of the buildings of the Universalist Church, including the current building. The other painting is of All Souls Unitarian Church building on State Street. (The building is still standing without the steeple.) This painting is a donation from Cally Stevens, a long-time member of UUCC from All Souls Church (deceased)
Dish hanging in Fellowship Hall by the Kitchen has this inscription on the back:
“The original Universalist Church in Augusta was built in 1835, on the Northwest corner of Chapel and Court Streets. In 1868, during the pastorate of Rev. C.N. Moor, the present church was erected on Winthrop Street., and was dedicated on March 5th of that year. The cost was $35,000 including furnishings. In 1880, a vestry was installed beneath the church, and in 1910, the steeple was removed. Improvements to the building through the years have included installation of memorial windows, the Winship Memorial room, a new organ, improved church school facilities, and a modern kitchen. In 1963, the auditorium was redecorated adding to its beauty. World Wide Art Studios, Covington, Tennessee”
The picture of “Simple gifts, too” has explanation of the gifts. Take time to appreciate the picture itself and the explanation. The painting was originally commissioned by All Souls Unitarian Church, Tulsa, OK.
THE ROBBINS ROOM (first room on the left from Summer St. entrance)
This room was set aside in honor of Rev. Douglas Robbins, minister at Winthrop Street Universalist Church from 1943 to 1973. Doug Robbins graduated from Tufts University and School of Theology. He was active in ministers groups, Universalist Church of Maine, and civic organizations, including Lithgow Library.
The Robbins Parlor was originally dedicated in the previous structure, and continued in the present building. This room is additional space for special services, such as weddings and memorial services. Parents with infants can still watch the service, and for others as an alternative to the sanctuary.
Sofas came from All Souls and were refurbished by Traute Lippman, a long time member, now deceased.
The painting, Maine Spring Burst, by Vincent A. Hartgen, 1959, was in the Maine State Art Festival in the State House, August 1-31, 1960. It was donated by William and Margaret Vaughan to All Souls Church in 1980. Both were members of the church since 1949. William (Bill) died June 2, 1988, and Margaret died April 24, 2088.
Items on the wall are from our archives.
- Left: Letter from Rev. (Ralph Waldo) Emerson declining an invitation to preach at Christ Church (Unitarian) in Augusta.
- Center: Order of Service for the Dedication of the Universalist Church, March 5, 1868.
- Right: Letter from Rev. Samuel Longfellow regarding the possibility of preaching at Christ Church (Unitarian). While we do not have a year date on the letter, it was written from Brooklyn, NY, where he was minister in 1853. He was the younger brother of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
THE NURSERY (Next to Fellowship Hall)
The Nursery is named for the history of the previous congregations. The Nursery at the Winthrop Street Church was dedicated to Mabel (Mrs. Clarence) Philbrick, From about the late 1950s until the late 1970s, Mabel coordinated the Nursery, maintained the Cradle Roll, made birthday cakes for younger children, and decorated the worship center for the Junior Department (Religious Education) regularly. She was also active in many other parts of the congregation.
The Nursery at the All Souls Church to was dedicated to Anna (Mrs. John) Newbert, who led the Primary Department of All Souls (Unitarian) Church in 1949 and worked in various parts of Religious Education through the early 1970’s. She requested that room be dedicated to include Rev. Elmer Newbert, minister 1892-1903, and his son John (her husband). She moved to Ocean Point, ME, in 1974.
THE COMMITTEE ROOM
The Library contains a variety of books that have been donated, including recent donations. We are in the process of developing the library to be more accessible. Books may be borrowed by signing them out.
There are mail slots for committees and groups, as well as various forms and informational notebooks related to the functioning of the congregation.
THE DREW HOUSE (6 Summer Street)
The Drew House is named for Rev. William Allen Drew (1798-1879), who organized First Universalist Church of Augusta in 1833, and was ordained as its Pastor in 1835, remaining until 1848.He was the editor of multiple publications on Universalism, such as the Gospel Banner. He wrote about Maine life and agriculture, and was involved with education, social order, and public health in the local community. He preached Universalism in towns ranging from Farmington to Mid-coast Maine. He married Melinda Morrill of Hallowell and had seven children.
The Drew House was the Winthrop Street Parsonage, then used for meeting spaces and offices. Major restoration was done during the summer of 2011, through the work of the Buildings and Grounds Committee and volunteers. It houses:
- Religious Exploration Space (both floors) (available for church events and rental)
- Meeting Room: Olsen Room (1st floor back) (available for church events and rental)
- History Room: (1st floor)
- Small Kitchen (1st floor) (available for church events and rental)
THE OLSEN ROOM (First Floor, next to kitchen)
This room dedicated to the memory of Alice Olsen, a member of the All Souls Church. While driving to work in February 1975, Alice Olsen killed in an accident. She was an active member in the congregation.
The collection of English China cups is housed primarily in the cabinet in the Olsen Room, with some at 71 Winthrop Street. In April 1935 two boys (Everett and Raymond Winship) whose family belonged to the Winthrop Street Universalist Church, drowned in Cobbesseeconte Lake during school vacation. Church members were invited to contribute cups and saucers and furniture for the Winship Room in the church building that then stood on our current site. We have a collection of over 80 cups and saucers. They are used occasionally for special events, under the aegis of the History Committee.
THE HISTORY ROOM (First Floor, end of Hall)
This History Room holds the historical files and artifacts of the three UU congregations in Augusta. The History Committee meets about monthly to work on making parts of our history available and pertinent to our congregation today. The room is open periodically and for special occasions. Contact the History Committee.
JUDD HOUSE (71 Winthrop Street)
The Judd House is named for Rev. Sylvester Judd, (1813-1852) Unitarian Minister in Augusta 1840-1852. He graduated from Harvard Divinity School and was ordained as minister of the Unitarian Church of Augusta in 1840. He held this position until his untimely death in January 1852. He preached on reform issue, such as the evils of war, intemperance, capital punishment, the prison system, and the national treatment of the Indians. His best-know written work, Margaret, a Tale of the Real and the Ideal, dealt with exhibiting the errors of Trinitarian theology. He married Jane Elizabeth Williams, daughter of US Senator Reuel Williams, and had three children. A portrait of Sylvester Judd is hanging in the hallway.
The Judd House was purchased in 2008 and renovated, primarily by volunteers from the church community. The building houses:
- Church Office
- Office for Minister
- Religious Exploration Office and Meeting Room (2nd floor)
- Religious Exploration space (2nd floor)
(This building is not rented.)